This blog is dedicated to all things Frank – past, present and future.


Monday, December 3, 2012

2012 Christmas Card



2012 turned out to be the year of KISS for the Fuscos. We saw KISS in concert, went to a KISS Expo, met Ace Frehley, and the kids even dressed as KISS for Halloween. All of those experiences lead to this year's Christmas card.

I apply a certain amount of pressure on myself when coming up with our Christmas card. We've had some pretty good ones in the past and I don't want to let anyone down, myself included. The year you get a store-bought Christmas card from the Fuscos you'll know I've given up on life. But I'll admit, it's getting harder to come up with ideas.

Kim and I started talking about this years Christmas card in October. I had a few thoughts, but nothing I was in love with. We had just ordered the kids Halloween costumes so Kim suggested we all dress up as KISS and say "Merry KISSmas". That's right, it was Kim's idea! (I added the Santa hats.)

Kim and I didn't have costumes so we had to make ours. Her interpretation of Paul Stanley was pretty simple to put together – a female version. Mine was a little more elaborate. I figured with a little construction paper and some tape I could recreate Ace Frehley's Hotter Than Hell costume – out of all his costumes, it seemed the easiest to pull off.

When it came to the photo shoot I thought it would be cool to reenact the cover of KISS Alive! I scanned the album cover, Photoshopped the band out, and tweaked the colored smoke to be Christmas colors. Then I shot us on green screen and pasted us in. Voila!

It wasn't easy finding a printing company that offered square cards – a music LP is square so I wanted to be true to form – but then I found Tiny Prints (they were very thorough, sending emails about my cards' status along the way and a representative even sent me a handwritten card afterward telling me how much he enjoyed my art). The square card allowed for a custom photo front with a personalized message on the inside, plus the option to add an extra photo on the inside.I figured we'll borrow the back cover layout of KISS Alive II and have close-ups of our faces on the inside. After all, applying that make-up was a grueling experience, might as well get the most out of it.



Here's our personalized message…



And the FFF logo on the back…



Here's to a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year and the hopes that Gene doesn't sue me for copyright infringement.

No comments:

Post a Comment