This blog is dedicated to all things Frank – past, present and future.


Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Fuscos Go To Disney! (2011)



We got back from our trip to Disney World last Saturday so I put together a little video…because that's what I do. I didn't take a whole lot of footage because this new camera I got is not designed for the quick point and shoot – there's focusing and aperture/ISO setting involved. 

Waiting in line for Tom Sawyer Island.
Tom Sawyer Island got the bulk of my video shooting. It's a little more laid back than the rest of the park – making it easier to shoot – plus I was living out a missed childhood experience through my kids. When I went to Disney World as a child we didn't realize Tom Sawyer Island closed at dusk and by the time we got to Frontierland the sun had gone down. So this trip I got to experience it through my kids eyes. We had fun exploring the island together. 



I also made sure to video the inside of Splash Mountain. It's interesting that Disney created a ride based around a film (Song of the South) that has never been released on home video or DVD in the United States, due to its racist overtones. Millions of kids who visit the park attraction today have absolutely no connection to the story or its characters. For that reason I wonder if its days are numbered? The Swiss Family Treehouse in Disneyland was re-themed as Tarzan's Treehouse, to coincide with Disney's Tarzan animated film, and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea: Submarine Voyage was re-themed as Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage for the same reason. If Disney ever releases a film set alongside a river or stream it could very well be the end of Splash Mountain as we know it.


Here are the kids, wet after the Splash Mountain plunge.

And here's some more photos from our trip…

The first of many pictures Chloe refused to smile for.


A large section of Fantasyland was under construction so they put up this wall.
Chloe liked the character (not sure which one it is?). The plans for the new Fantasyland look pretty cool.

Breakfast with the Disney characters -- Mary Poppins, Tigger, Winnie The Pooh, Alice.

Casey's Corner. (Still wet after Splash Mountain.)

One of Disney's creepy animatronic exhibits.
As much as Disney's changed through the years some rides never change.
I remember this '60s family from when I was a kid.

Here's a few shots of the castle I like.

Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios. 13 story elevator drop!
There were grown adults having second thoughts about riding the Tower of Terror, but not my kids.
They're daredevils.

Epcot Center. Chloe still refusing to smile.

Dining with the Disney Princesses at Epcot Center.
When you arrive they take a complimentary photo of your princess with a Disney Princess (Belle).
Chloe was having a melt-down so Casey, my prince, stepped in.

Chloe warmed up to the other princesses once we sat down to eat -- Cinderella, Snow White, Jasmine, Ariel.

Bruce from Finding Nemo. The one time Chloe refusing to smile actually works.

It rained for 20 minutes every day we were at Disney (not bad), but on the day of Epcot it rained from 3pm to 7pm.
The kids wouldn't wear their ponchos and this time Kim refused to smile.


Disney was pushing hard on their newest character, Duffy the Bear.
Because Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto and the other 200+ Disney characters aren't enough.
I'm sure Walt's rolling in his grave over this one. Duffy doesn't have that Disney quality all the other characters have. He looks like a generic teddy bear you find at a Rite Aid.

Animal Kingdom.


Kali River Rapids -- Animal Kingdom.

The kids loved Florida's wild lizards.
On my first trip to Disney, when I was 10 or 11, my cousin George caught one for me and I took it home.
When he caught it the tail fell off. It grew back crooked. I kept it for a couple of years until it died.

On the last night we met up with some family for a much needed home-cooked meal.

The end of a long week.



No comments:

Post a Comment