This blog is dedicated to all things Frank – past, present and future.


Thursday, June 23, 2011

ambibat II (2000-2001)


ambibat (part II)

In 2000, Eric left ambibat and joined the country band Earl Pickens and the Black Mountain Marauders. (Earl Pickens is the alter ego of my friend Billy Kelly. You may know Billy from the music videos I've made for him. I've also posted a few Earl Pickens shorts, too.)

Eric's departure didn't stop ambibat. We quickly filled his position with Doug Walker on arp odyssey synthesizer. Doug was in Alien Planetscapes with Chris and Blaise, and he was always at our shows anyway so he was a good fit. Doug had a more aggressive approach to his playing than Eric so ambibat became darker and heavier – which was the direction I wanted to go in.

In 2001, I took the new ambibat into the studio to record our second album, Fresh Blood – the title having a double meaning: Doug being the new blood in the band and a play off the album cover art I drew when I was 7 years old (you can see the original here). The album is pretty heavy and I'm very proud of it. I'm particularly pleased with my guitar playing because I was truly playing free. On the first ambibat album I was still relying heavily on my sampler pedals as a crutch. I'd say Fresh Blood is as good, if not better, than anything I heard come out of the experimental improv scene from that time period. My only wish is that Eric played drums on it.

Here's a few choice cuts...

"Bloodthirsty"


"Prowling The Midnight Walker"


"The Nightmare Begins"


"Eyes In The Dark"


You can also download the album below...


[DOWNLOAD] ambibat - Fresh Blood (2001)
01- The Nightmare Begins
02- Full Moon
03- Bloodthirsty
04- Prowling The Midnight Walker
05- Through The Fog
06- Heartbeat
07- Pray Prey
08- Eyes In The Dark
09- Synapse Relapse
10- Cold Sweats


ambibat (mach II)
Frank Fusco - guitar, turntable/tape deck/radio, electronics
Chris Altenhoff - bass, arp odyssey, tapes, electronics
Blaise Siwula - saxophone, reeds, mandolin, laptop
Doug Walker - arp odyssey

(R.I.P. Doug Walker 4/4/06)

No comments:

Post a Comment