This blog is dedicated to all things Frank – past, present and future.


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Simmons' Meteor

This is my bootleg KISS album signed by Gene Simmons. I bought the album back in 1987 when my friends and I hopped the train to NYC to hit some record stores. (I also bought a bootleg of Gene and Paul's first band, Wicked Lester, that day, too.) Simmons' Meteor is basically a live performance from San Francisco in 1977 and it's got a lot of "Hello San Francisco!" Paul-isms. The sound quality isn't the greatest but it's listenable. How I came to get it signed is another story...

My sister was working at Court TV when Gene Simmons was pitching a show there. She knew he was coming in so she offered me the chance to get something signed. I knew out of all my KISS paraphernalia it had to be Simmons' Meteor. I bet it's the only signed copy in the world. When Kathy – my sister – asked Gene to sign it he took one look at it and gave her a "What's this?" reaction. He told her the album was illegal and made without his permission but agreed to sign it only if she'd kiss him on the cheek. Kathy came through for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment