This blog is dedicated to all things Frank – past, present and future.


Thursday, February 10, 2011

Life After Santa - Blitzen's Story



For almost 200 years, Blitzen was at the back of Santa's sleigh, delivering gifts to good little children everywhere. Then Santa bought a Toyota Prius, freeing his flying reindeer to pursue other interests. Today, Blitzen's up front, singing for his garage/glam/metal/punk band Blitzenkrieg, delivering the good gift of power chords.

Santa gets a Prius and Blitzen gets a band – looks like they've both gone electric.


To break the illusion just a bit... When we were creating the various reindeer characters, Blitzen is the one that spoke to me most. Being a musician myself, I borrowed a little from my musical past here and there. Blitzen needed a song to represent him so I dusted off an old track I recorded in 2007 – Blast Off For Kicksville – and rewrote the lyrics. When Blitzen (Ryan Shams) came in for his interview we had him lay down vocals to the newly titled song: Rein Supreme.

Here's the original Franklin Mint version – Blast Off For Kicksville



And here's the Blitzenkrieg version – Rein Supreme



We wanted to get some footage of Blitzenkrieg in concert so we planned to hijack the Saatchi & Saatchi holiday party for a staged performance – captive audience. All we needed was Blitzen's band. It was about a week from the party – short notice – so I called upon my friends Eric and Dave to play drums and bass, and I took the role of guitarist. I sent them an mp3 of the track to learn but being the holidays, there was no time to jam before the big show. I did however swing by Dave's apartment one night to work out the song's parts. The only time we did play the song as a band prior to the show was about 15 minutes before the party, during the sound check. It was a little rough but hey...it's punk rock.

If you'd like to see the whole performance of Blitzenkrieg playing Rein Supreme, check out the official website... blitzenkrieg.com

And whaddaya know... Blitzenkrieg also has a myspace page!... myspace.com/blitzenkriegband



1 comment:

  1. Stumbled across this by doing a google search for Santa in a toyota. Awesome Blog. Made me laugh my ass off.

    ReplyDelete