This blog is dedicated to all things Frank – past, present and future.


Monday, October 18, 2010

My Chlidhood Art

I figured I'd post some of my childhood illustrations as my first share. After all, that's where it all began. The pieces here were drawn between the ages of 6 and 7 (1st and 2nd grades).

My 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Dowd, was about 80 years old and was retiring with my class, so she pretty much gave up on teaching (hence the misspelled "Halloween" above – but it's more evil that way, isn't it?). So instead of learning, I'd draw pictures all day. Every day I'd come home with stacks of them and my mom saved some. Maybe she saved them as evidence or something because I'm sure she was a little disturbed by the subject matter. I know I am.

The above picture is probably the most disturbing of them all. Why would I draw a crucified Jesus upside down? Where would I even see that imagery to copy? I'm really surprised my parents didn't send me to a psychologist. (I remember calling the floating character Heat Miser – those are heat rays emitting from him.)

I liked to draw battle scenes.

I was a very big fan of Godzilla. Also in this picture: the invisible man (both big and little), the other two little guys I remember calling the Atom Brothers, and the thing in the bottom right hand corner is the "Chiller" hand from WPIX's Chiller Theatre.

One of my favorite cartoons was Hanna-Barbera's The Herculoids, so the character Tundro would often pop up in my drawings (he's the triceratops looking creature who shoots explosive energy rocks from his cannon-horn).

The Headless Horseman (above and below) was another character that would often pop up in my drawings. He'd always be towing his head in a cart attached to his horse – four heads in the one below.

This one's a favorite. The composition is cool and I especially love the spot-color use of the red crayon. Years later I used my childhood artwork for my band ambibat. This drawing became the cover of our 2nd album, Fresh Blood.

And speaking of bands...

Unfinished KISS. (Still one of my favorite bands.)

More childhood illustrations to come...

1 comment: